Monday, January 4, 2010

Good Time For a Blow-Out



My buddy Jordan was in town for the holidays. He’s currently getting his PhD in Bristol, England (jerk!). Jordan has been a close friend of mine for several years now and we’ve had conversations from “Who would you rather date; Angelina Jolie or Jessica Biel?” listing all the pros and cons for each person to discussions of the historical development of Soteriology and how it currently affects the contemporary Christian worldview. We haven’t talked in a few months and were in need of some serious catch-up time. Is there a better way to catch up than to go to a Lakers’ game? I say no.

Last night we attended the Lakers/Mavs game. When we were roommates through graduate school. He was the guy I would take to most of the games. He played basketball in high school and understands the game. It was nothing new to attend a game with him.

However, this time it was different. I have been married for almost a year, and I don’t like my job. I also feel trapped by my job. Jordan makes up his own schedule and meets with his supervisor every few weeks to revise his thesis. Did I mention he’s in Bristol, England (jerk!)? I remember the days in college, having that freedom to spend the majority of your time simply learning and thinking about ideas and concepts; synthesizing all the information you were acquiring, making cross-disciplinary connections, and forming your own conclusions about academic issues and making the bridge to how that affects everyday practical living.

On the other hand, although Jordan is enjoying what he’s doing, he realizes that he’s getting older and wished, to some degree, that he already has his career. There is no guarantee of a job at the other side of his PhD.

So during the game we talked and cheered and talked and cheered and talked and booed and booed some more when Sasha entered the game. Both Jordan and I are at different life stages but are still a huge encouragement to each other. He helped me feel that I was ahead of the game even though I felt trapped. He pointed out how wonderful it is to have a wife like Katie. He also reminded me of how heartbroken I was the 27th time Katie kicked me to the curb, and now I’m married to her. Victory! Life really isn’t so bad.



I pointed out that he has a great opportunity to pursue a career dream and that there is a girl who will be dumb enough to give him a chance out there. My buddy Bryan once told me that he was at a home Bible study once and most of the people were college students asking for prayer to focus on their studies and to do well in school. He thought that it was lame because he was in a “different life-stage” and that kind of stuff didn’t really concern him. I thought to myself, “What a jerk!” If I could have punched him through the phone I would have. He didn’t realize the diversity within the body of Christ is exactly what builds the body of Christ. Although Jordan and I are in different places in life, that in no way hindered our fellowship and even added to our ability to encourage one another.

Surprisingly, I didn’t pay very close attention to the game. It might have been that the Lakers were up 40 at the time (they won by 35) or that I saw Sasha playing. Whatever the case, it was a good night for a blow-out win.

3 comments:

  1. Tell Jordan that he might get a girl if he loses the fohawk! Oops...my bad "diversity within the body" (which actually is a pretty good point, Thai Gold).

    Of course I'm wondering if what Jordan meant (about the lame prayer requests) is that, being older, and growing wiser, he was realizing (unconsciously?) that there were more important things to be praying about than grades and studies. Rather like a teen listening to the concerns of a child. You are right of course, that they are real concerns and he should take them seriously. On the other hand, he is right in that we (as a body) should be pushing the college students to grow up in the faith and look beyond studies to depth of character and compassion (among other things), not to mention the plight of those around them (like being jobless in an economy that is not creating many jobs—as opposed to hating ones job). It's admittedly tough to balance frustration with being in a lousy job with gratefulness that one actually has a job.

    And if I may digress in terms of jobs. I would make the guess that one of the things the Lord may be teaching you (with a job you don't like) is to learn contentment (this is deep waters). God might be using a lousy job to drive you out of your comfort zone; or he might be using it to teach you to be content and depend on him; or he might be using it to teach you both. I'm not sure; however, I am sure that you are where you are for a good reason.

    Speaking of jobs, are you familiar with Logos Bible Software? I think they want to hire people in southern California. You a salesman? Might be worth looking into. The software sells itself...Talk to Badger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, good point on the "lame prayer requests" by college students. I agree that they often need to look beyond "school" and focus on character and compassion as you said. I just remember when I was in college those were the very things that I prayed about.

    Second, thanks for the words of encouragement regarding the Lord's possible lessons. I've been probing what that lesson could be myself for some time.

    Finally, yes I know the Logos Bible Software. It saved me hours of work when I was going through Talbot. I guess I will have to talk to Badger. Thanks again Uncle John.

    ReplyDelete