Friday, January 8, 2010

Educational Torture



I should be studying for my CSET exam right now but instead I’m blogging. It’s Friday, I got up early this morning and went to work, stayed late to finish a paper (on a freakin’ Friday!), worked out like a beast, watched my Lakers lose for the ninth straight time in Portland and I have to take my CSET at 7:15 am tomorrow morning (if I don’t pass all sections this year I will be out of a job). Wonderful.

Some people ask me why I wanted to be a teacher. The funny thing is that I didn’t want to be a teacher but the job just fell in my lap. My buddy Brent told me about a position opening up at La Mirada High School and suggested I apply for it. I said, “Sure, why not?” I didn’t get the job but my application circulated around the district and I got hired on a Benton Middle School. This year I was reassigned to another school.

Why am I telling you this? It’s because I can’t tell you how much I HATE (and I don't like to throw around the "H" word that often) all the hoops you have to jump through to become a teacher. At the moment I have no choice. I just have to deal with it. The kicker is that I have to finish my credential soon or I will lose my job. Taking education classes has been nothing short of pure torture. I find it irony that it’s “education classes” are completely worthless and I’m not the only one who believes this. I’ve asked numerous people who have finished their credential (the wife included) and they all say it was a big waste of time and money.

I am currently attempting to finish my teaching credential at National University. Every time I walk into one of these classes I feel a part of me die. Throughout the class I feel like I’m in a Saw movie and Jigsaw is lecturing to me on “How to make a lesson plan.” If I had to choose between being in an episode of Man vs. Wild with Bear Grylls and have to eat goats testicles instead of taking these education classes, I would take it in a cocaine heartbeat.

The fact that my buddy Jordan is getting his PhD in theology only makes it worse. I think that’s part of the problem. After getting two graduate degrees in Bible everything else you learn just doesn’t seem as interesting (more on this in a later blog, right now I just want to vent).

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I’m really grateful for my job (even though I don’t like it). I’m just venting. I promise the next blog will be uplifting.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! Gut-wrenchingly funny line about goat testicles and "a cocaine heartbeat." Love it. One would think that educators, of all people, would be able to make education classes interesting. One would be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Uncle John. The funny thing is it's the truth. I would rather do those other things.

    ReplyDelete