Monday, January 17, 2011

2nd Anniversary




What can I say about my marriage that I haven’t already said? I answered the question, “How’s the married life?” when I first got married. There was a time when I thought I would never get married and now I’ll be celebrating my 2nd year with my beautiful wife. Over those two years, I have noticed that my conversations with my friends have changed from abstract theology that involved questions like, “What do you think the Apostle Paul meant when he said ‘fill in the blank’” to “How’s your marriage?” and “How come our wives don’t think we’re funny?” It’s just a product of the ever-changing life-stage.

For example, the other day the wife and I were shopping for furniture at Living Spaces and I called my buddy Jared to ask for some suggestions because he just bought some furniture too. When I called him I told him, “Hey I’m at Living Spaces, how much did you get that rug for?” He replied, “You’re at Living Spaces? I’m at IKEA!” Both of us laughed because we’re apparently on the same life track.

I use to think practical conservations were boring. But the wife has put practicality into perspective. I still enjoy trying to understand the sovereignty of God to the best of my ability, but now, to truly see it lived out everyday of my life as I enter different life stages, I begin to see the fingerprints of God all over. I couldn’t have scripted my life the way it has turned out so far. One of those God-scripted aspects of my life is my marriage to the wife I absolutely needed.

My marriage genuinely feels like teamwork, partners simply “doing life together.” Her strengths complement my weaknesses and vice versa. Life would just be miserable without her on so many levels. Sure there are times when I wish I could “go it alone.” Like the time I was going through the drive through at In-N-Out Burgers. I was hoping to get to the speaker and place my order before she had a chance to ask me what I was going to order because I wanted a 3x3 (three beef patties in one burger) and knew she wouldn’t allow it. The line was long (like always) so she asked me what I was going to order. I kept it vague, “A burger.” She knows the trick so she starts asking for specifics, “Which burger?” The line clearly was not moving fast enough. I sadly confessed, “A 3x3 combo.” She replied, “That’s not on the menu. That’s NOT THREE BEFF PATTIES in one burger, is it?” You could probably guess what happened the rest of the way. She talked me out of getting one and I settled for a double-double combo and she barely gave me that.

However, if I were left to myself to determine my eating habits I would have a heart attack at age 35. Without the wife, I would probably have cable TV with NBA League Pass and watch basketball all night and every night because what else would I be doing? Instead, she helps me become a productive person and encourages me in her example of godliness and living a quiet and sound life. You won’t believe this but I don’t like being “quiet” and being sound feels down right boring. However, I’ve learned to enjoy the “quiet life,” but only because I enjoy it with the best and most beautiful wife in the world.

Another component about marriage is the wife fully understanding and loving the entirety of her man. What I mean when I say “entirety” is all of the personality quirks that come with the man. Even if a person is godly and attractive that doesn’t mean you’ll be able to enjoy them as a spouse. I know a few godly and attractive people who drive me up the wall. Of course I probably drive lots of other people up the wall, too, so lets move on. My point is that the wife loves every little aspect of me that may go unnoticed by most people or aspects that would normally drive others crazy. For instance, our church has doughnuts and coffee for people after 1st service. I enjoy the coconut doughnut, but this particular Sunday they either ran out or didn’t pick any up. I faithfully tithe to the church and I would appreciate if they picked up a couple more so that they don’t run short next time. Anyway, since they were out of the coconut doughnut I had the tough decision between the sprinkle or crumb doughnuts. I spent a while hovering over the doughnut box like I was doing neurosurgery, intently analyzing doughnuts and weighing the pros and cons of each selection. I finally went with the crumb doughnut.

Immediately after the selection process came to an end, I looked up and there she was looking at me and giggling. I asked, “Are you mocking me?” She kindly replied, “No, I just love how you put so much thought into picking a doughnut. I love every part of you” while affectionately kissing me on the cheek. “Well, it wouldn’t have been hard if they had the coconut.” I thought to myself.

Yes, she “loves every part of me” and shows me that everyday. I don’t think there’s another woman on this plant that would tolerate my non-sense. It is only by God’s grace that I have such a wonderful wife. I don’t deserve her but she makes me want to become the man who is worthy of such a precious gift.

Happy 2nd Anniversary, honey. I love you.

5 comments:

  1. Jr. This is absolutely delightful. Congratulations on your anniversary. Such a marriage is not only a joy to both of you, but a witness to others of God's sanctifying work in you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Tom. Yes, God is good and gracious beyond measure. I am truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. laughing out loud about the coconut doughnuts =) happy anniversary! hope you have a wonderful day celebrating =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, I will take it upon myself to notify your church that, given the fact that you are a regular tither, they need to make sure there are coconut doughnuts for you after first service!

    And, Duh! Given the fact that you are married to my awesome niece, what else would marriage be except totally exceptional!

    Good (and funny) post, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Uncle John: thanks for the kind words as always. You could never have enough coconut doughnuts.

    ReplyDelete