Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dwight Howard interview by The Post Game


Today thepostgame.com released an interview with Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard. When asked about his Christianity he didn't shy away from the topic but mentions Christ by name. I thought this was interesting and I pray that the Lord would continue to use him to influence lives in a God-pleasing manner (and that he would sign with the Lakers in the summer of 2012).

ThePostGame.com: When you were entering the NBA you said you wanted to be vocal about Christianity, but you haven’t been that vocal publically? Did you want to be more private and how do you feel now?

Howard: “It’s not hard. I’m a Christian and I’m always going to be one. I represent Christ wherever I go. I think the whole thing about being a Christian, I think people made it seem like I was trying to change the whole NBA by myself. But my job is not to change the NBA. It’s the people that watch the NBA, the fans around, the people that look up to basketball to be role models. We all make mistakes and that’s one thing I try to let kids know, teens know and everyone we come across. Hey, we make mistakes. Learn from the mistake and try to move on. Being a Christian, I know that everything I do is being magnified and put on a whole different level. It hasn’t stopped me one bit for living my life and I’m grateful for where I am as a person. I understand that I represent God. Everything I do is for him. I’m not ashamed for that. I’m a Christian and always a Christian. That’s never going to change. I’m not worried about what everybody says about it. I’m just going to remain the same person I am.”

To read the whole interview click here.

2 comments:

  1. I like Dwight Howard. He's in a tough situation with the adulation and the women throwing themselves at him. Hopefully he will live out his faith consistently and well. I suppose it's too much to hope he'll sign with the Pistons, who would want to spend winters in Detroit?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are certainly the unseen temptations. I don't know if you remember Mike Penberthy who played at The Master's College and was on the Lakers for their 2001 championship team. He had some stories. He would take his wife to ALL the road games.

    ReplyDelete