Thursday, March 11, 2010

69 Days and Counting



Today represents exactly 69 school days left before I’m officially on summer vacation (yes, I count down everyday). One of the great things about being a teacher is that there is a beginning and an end to each year. We know exactly when that summer break will hit and we plan accordingly. Of course if I had a choice I would be a cop chasing down criminals and making my community feel safer. But being a teacher is not a bad consolation prize. You can’t beat the schedule or the time off. Furthermore, when you have a wife on the same schedule it works out quite well when it comes to spending time together.

On the other hand, during the school year has to be one of the most stressful jobs I could imagine. Meeting with difficult parents, dealing with under performing students, grading, and stressful staff meetings could drive anyone into depression. If it weren’t for the wife I would be a raging alcoholic by now.

Oddly, there is something that I didn’t anticipate, which has turned out to be a nice surprise. My students are actually making progress. You might think or come to expect that teachers come in each year with that very hope, and you would be right. However, you have to remember that I’m a jerk and really an “expect the worst but hope for the best” type of guy. Students are not only progressing and learning but they are also becoming better students- yes there is a difference between learning knowledge and becoming a good student.

On an introspective level, dealing with elementary students has made me less of a hard@$$. In elementary school, students are extremely frail emotionally so you have to treat them with care like precious cargo. This will in no doubt help me when I have children someday (I cringe just typing that). In case of the extremely stressful event of landing a daughter (cringing some more), I would need to be gentle and compassionate. At least that’s what I’m told a girl needs, compassionate, patience, affection, and constant affirmation. That sounds like a lot of work. Darn it! I could see my Lakers season tickets go up in smoke.

In short, I would rather chase criminals down an alley or get caught in a gunfight with gang members for a career instead of teaching. Considering God has not opened that door for whatever reason, I’ll count my blessings and make the most of what I currently have. It is a form of God’s provision, and nice little surprises in a situation, though far from my ideal, are extremely welcomed.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Jr. I say that an "expect the worse but hope for the best" is also known as a realist...as opposed to an optimist.

    Dude, let me tell you, you WANT a daughter! Daughters are God's gift to you for surviving with your sons. A perfect metaphor? The other day my daughter (16) was in the kitchen explaining to me how to cook chicken and prepare dinner. She has a servant's heart. One of my son's was in the basement rocking out on his electric guitar. He hasn't done a lick of work around the house since he graduated from high school unless I force him to...he still needs a little, ahem, work. On the upside, however, he plays a mean electric guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's great point uncle John, sons could be a handful but when a daughter has a servant's heart that's just touching. I'm sure no words could describe the warmth a father must feel towards a loving and caring daughter. On the flip side, I can't imagine what an apathetic son would do to me. I have a lot of boy students who are extremely soft. Its disappointing.

    ReplyDelete