Sunday, October 30, 2011

4 years ago today - Mom went home.


Four years ago today my mom went home to be with the Lord. I've often reflect on the impact she had on my life and the lives of others. All the things my mom taught me I still hold close to my heart. And on this day I simply wanted to honor by reposting some of the blogs I've written about her through the years since she's been gone. My hope one day is to write a biography about her amazing life and journey. But for now, blogging will have to do.

Here's an excerpt from my mom's eulogy:

On October 30th of the year 2007, my mom went into the presence of God. She is now better off but the world is slightly dimmer.

There are times in my personal Christianity where the barrier between the present world, the world of our senses, and the next world of eternality seem thick. Sometimes it is failed expectations, my personal sin, or times where everything seems spiritually dry and stagnate. During these times God seems so distant and estranged.

Then there are other times where God’s presences never felt more real. Something happens that makes the wall of this present world and eternality seem inches apart, “and the things of earth grow strangely dim.” This is one of those times for me. I have never experience so much pain and peace, so much sorrow and joy, being extremely disheartened and yet abounding in hope. The pain of losing my mom so suddenly but the peace in knowing that she is with Jesus, the sorrow in missing my mom and her support but the joy in knowing that I will see her again, extremely disheartened because I wish I could have been a better son but hopeful knowing that she would want me to be okay and continue to serve the Lord and I will honor her in doing just that.

You could read the rest of it here.

During the second year without mom, I decided to write her a letter updating her with what's going on in my life. I didn't do this nearly enough when she was around.

Mom,

If you were still here, I would tell you about the beautiful wife who I married and how she’s an answer to your many years of prayer. I have no doubt that you would love Katie and her family (especially her mom, Lynn. I could see you guys talk into the night about whatever it is that mothers talk about into the night and laughing about stories of my foolishness).

You could read the rest of it here.

Here are a couple of random memories that came up as I was just going through life.

Normally I try to avoid the cafeteria at school all together because the lack of food quality is downright depressing. I could ensure you that when Junior Jr. comes along he will not be eating school lunches. Today, however, the cafeteria was serving corndogs. No they weren’t all that appealing. The corndogs triggered a fond memory of my mom. Every time she took my younger sister and I shopping at the mall, she bought us corndogs as a reward for enduring hours of wondering aimlessly through department stores. My feet were so swollen I couldn’t get the shoes off of them when I got home.

Then I started to miss my mom while I was thinking about this.

Click here to read the rest.

Here's one of my wife's Facebook post:

Jr and I were in Montebello today getting his car serviced and then getting both of our cars washed. When we got to the car wash, the lady inside greeted Jr enthusiastically, and gave us a little discount... all because she knew your mom. :) Jr and I both enjoyed laughing at the fact that even years later- at the car wash of all places- we get benefits because people are so grateful for your mom and who she was! I'm so sad that I never got to meet her here on earth, but I'm so grateful that I'll get to some day in heaven. She sure was a special woman. :)

Click here to read the rest.

One of the most amazing memories of my mom was how she led one of my uncle(s) to the Lord.

You could click here to read the story - A "Prodigal Uncle"

Most recently, I wrote about on my recent trip to Thailand impacted my life. I had no idea it would and the memory of my mom's life had everything to do with it.

Realizing that your nationality is a gift from God to use for His glory totally explains my mom’s passion for her people. She was an evangelist to the core but there was a particular passion for her people, Thai people. She was never prideful about being Thai, she just enjoyed it, loved it and cherished it. She didn’t have tattoos written in Thai (nothing wrong with tattoos, by the way). She didn’t marginalize people for not being Thai. It didn’t matter to my mom who you were or where you came from; if you didn’t know Jesus you were going to hear about Him. And even if you already knew Jesus you were still going to hear about Him. I’ve often said that if George Whitefield were an Asian woman he would be my mother.

Click here to read the rest.

I have to admit reposting these blogs got me a little emotional. Every so often I wonder how life would be if she were still around. I have deep regret she never met Katie or her family. I'm sadden she never lived to see her vision of becoming a missionary in Thailand where I have no doubts she would lead hundreds to the Lord (if not thousands). But God has a plan in all of this. And I trust Him fully. Maybe that's why handling her lose is possible because I know that God knows all these things. More importantly, my mom trusted the Lord and would want me to do the same. And that's the legacy she left and that's the legacy I'll continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment