Thursday, October 13, 2011

Conversations Part II of II

For Part I click here.




We had a professor who talked about not “living life within parentheses,” which meant abstaining from the mentality that said, “If I get this over with then I’ll really start living.” Examples could include, “Once I finish college then I’ll start living my ‘real’ life.” Sure, then you’ll miss all the opportunities to build relationships and not see the character-building moments while you’re in college. Another example would be, “Once I get married then I’ll start living my ‘real’ life.” Actually, I thought this very thing in college. In short, it was dumb to think this. That’s not to say marriage hasn’t been wonderful because it has but to believe God’s end goal is to marry us all off is shortsighted (This topic deserves its’ own blog).

My buddy Aaron Brown has taught me a great deal, which is why I love talking to the guy. I remember bouncing theological theories and research topics off of him, as well as tackling the complexities of women together (the last being the hardest). Through our interactions I’ve often appreciated his wisdom and insight into the particulars. It was more than discussing abstract concepts few people cared about but about the deep condition of our hearts and how it affects our perspective. Often times I would vent my frustrations about something and he was almost always able to know what I was feeling but also explain to me why I was feeling that way. He never gave the pop psychobabble, “How does that make you feel?” non-sense. Aaron KNEW how I felt and he KNEW it was important to communicate why I felt those things and often times challenging me, in a tactful manner, to seek the Lord and find resolution with whatever issue I was dealing with at the time. He was always able to shine a light on the path I was traveling. I’m the one who still needs to travel on the path but it’s assuring to know you have friends to help you along the way. There are not many friends who offer a broader scope into life’s mysteries and Aaron Brown happens to be one of the many I have been blessed with. As we’re going through the same life-stages it’s important for me to maintain my relationship with him in order to gain more perspective about life and God. This is what I believe, ultimately, are the purposes of friendship.

I’m truly grateful the Lord brought me to BU and allowed me to harvest friendships that will last an eternity. If there’s a friend who has impacted your life that you haven’t talked to in a while, I’m sure they’ll appreciate a phone call. And you’ll be glad to give one. Besides, with no NBA basketball due to the lockout what else are you going to do with your time?

P.S. – There will be more reflections on my BU days in future blogs. Be on the lookout.

No comments:

Post a Comment