Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Tribute to Paula Jo Dinkins




The Dinkins family will always have a special connection with me because they are a missionary family from Thailand. That’s right, Thailand! I met Tim Dinkins at Biola University and even went on a mission trip to Thailand, Chiang Mai, with him and his sister Amber in the summer of 2005.

During that summer trip, we became closer and built a bond. It was funny to see how Thai-people reacted to a white guy (Tim) speaking to them in Thai with the expression that said, “I can’t believe I’m talking to a white guy in Thai” on their faces. Although we don’t talk regularly anymore, I know that Tim will always be that special Thai/White brother I never expected to have. Through Tim I met his wonderful parents, Larry and Paula Dinkins. They immediately fell in love with me and constantly encouraged me to pursue ministries and use the gifts that God gave me. They also built a great connection with my mother. Larry and Paula’s passion for ministering to Thai people was clear and evident. It didn’t matter if Thai people were in California or Bangkok, they were going to love on these people with the love of Christ.

When my mom passed away, I remember Larry, Paula and Tim attending the funeral and mourning with me. I had no doubts that they, particularly Paula, would be praying for my family and me constantly. Shortly after my mother’s funeral, I visited with the Dinkins family and we talked about the wonderful memories we had regarding my mom and the impact she had for the kingdom of God. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Recently, Paula Jo Dinkins passed away and vivid memories of my own mom returned. All the wonderfully shared moments I had with Paula also came to mind. Here is an excerpt of her life:

Paula Jo Dinkins, 59, passed into the presence of Jesus Christ, the Savior she loved and served, on March 30, 2011 after a nine-year battle with Multiple Myeloma (MM). Paula is the feminine form of ‘Paul’, and like the apostle we can say that she has fought the good fight, and has finished the course, and has kept the faith (2 Tim. 4:7). Now she has fully entered the joy of the Lord in very presence of God.


Dealing with MM is no small task. However, Paula Dinkins clearly did not “waste her cancer” but, by the power of the Holy Spirit, used it for God’s glory.

Paula truly “bloomed where she was planted” (even in difficult soil). Part of her coping mechanism was to keep her passions aglow as well as maintaining a keen sense of humor (Paula received the most humorous award her senior year in high school). She channeled her passions into her home church, local Thai churches, . . . monthly OMF prayer meetings, and a bi-monthly evangelistic knitting circle called, “Pearling with Paula.” Paula’s garden, handcrafts, and tea were other passions as she volunteered in the herb garden at the Huntington Library, painted canvases, designed stationary, and knitted masterpieces. In March, Paula reached the milestone of 600 visits to Curves, a place where she built relationships with many new acquaintances. She loved sharing Christ with strangers. On her final deputation trip to Dallas Seminary in early March she led a man on the plane to the Lord.


Paula was able to do this because she had a passion for the Word of God, which can be seen by the 35 personal Quiet Time journals collected shortly after her death. Larry Dinkins says this about his wife, “Paula introduced herself as the ‘Woman behind the man, the missionary wife and mother of four missionary kids.’ As her husband, I could not have asked for a more supportive and loving wife.” I hope the life of Paula will be an inspiration to all the young Christian ladies out there.

I had the opportunity to speak to Tim shortly after Paula’s funeral. It was no doubt a difficult time for Tim, as well as the rest of his family, but there was this sense of joy in him that I marveled at. When we saw one another we embraced each other like the good old college buddies we are. I didn’t say anything at first but simply looked at him, while firmly griping his shoulder in affirmation, with an expression that said, “I am extremely blessed to have known you as a brother in the Lord and your faithfulness this day builds my faith.” There was a slight pause to take in the moment, and then Tim told me, “Our mom(s) are talking about us in heaven right now.” I replied laughing saying, “Yes, they have a lot to talk about.” Realizing that they were hundreds of people waiting to talk to each family member, I kept it short and quickly moved to the reception area where they had all the food.

While I was cutting in front of the food line gathering everything I can while making it fit on the tiny plates they gave us, I was reminiscing about the direct contrast between a funeral of a Christian and the funeral of a non-Christian. Yes, we grieve at the loss of loved ones but not as others who have no hope (1 Thess. 4:13). As time passes and more loved ones pass away, despite the pain, it makes the return of Christ that much sweeter.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this sweet tribute to Mama Dink, Junior. It was a blessing for me to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristin, for the taking the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Junior, I agree with Krisin, I met Paula through a song she co-wrote with Andrea Hamilton I'm sure you heard the story of how we met at the services when Larry told the story How the song Throne of Grace came to be, well I am that Laura and my son is Javier who was saved the day he heard the song at my church. My son and I were very fortuanate to meet Paula she was a very warm and loving person, I regret unable meeting her sooner. I wanted to get a hold of Larry because the first time I went to meet with her and Larry at her home, Larry took a picture of me and my son Javier. I would like to get a hold of a copy of this picture because I was in the process of making Larry a slide show of Paula with a few pictures, I just need this last picture to finish the slide show. Junior, by any chance can you give Tim Dinkins my e-mail so he can write to me, in regards to this you would help me out alot.

    Paula touched both our lives I just want to give Larry and his family something in return for the few moments we shared. With warm thoughts.

    Thank you,

    Laura Samaniego
    freebirdy@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Laura, I just sent Tim the email.

    ReplyDelete