Saturday, September 25, 2010

Training Camp - "One Away"



This past week I've been sick and dealing with a pulled right hamstring. I haven't been able to workout because of work, sickness, and house hunting. This morning I woke up and realized that training camp begins for the Lakers. I said to myself, "Screw it! I'm hitting the gym." After meeting my buddy Carlos at the gym, we starting rehabbing my hamstring. It felt great to be back in the gym and working out. Although I'm not 100% and still unable to play basketball, it still felt good to be somewhat active.

But do you know what else feels good? That's right, basketball season is around the corner and The Lake Show will be going for the 3-peat. I've already talked about the games I'll be attending and I even planned out Christmas Day. With the Miami Heat getting all the hype this season, I'm giddy to see how this year plays out. No, I'm not concerned with Andrew Bynum missing the beginning of the season. If you remember, P. Gasol missed the beginning of last season and Kobe brought his summer workouts with Hakeem with him and turned into a 6'6 Olajuwon. It was a joy to watch him punish every shooting guard in the post. I'm looking for more of the same this year. As long as Bynum is healthy (enough) during the playoffs we'll be fine.

Interestingly, the wife suggested the "Dream Season" being that the Lakers beat Boston again in the Finals. Imagine that Kobe and the Lakers beat the C's again with Shaq on the team in a year that Miami received all the hype and didn't even make the Finals? Wow! I'll need life insurance because if this were to happen (possible) I would explode. At the height of the Lakers/Celtics rivalry in the 80s, they played three times in the Finals (Lakers winning two out of the three). I say it's only fitting that they play three times in this era as well (the Lakers also winning two out of the three). Furthermore, the Laker franchise is only one championship away from tying the hated Celtics at 17. Also, Kobe is only one championship away from tying Michael Jordan (and no, I'm not one of those Laker fans who thinks Kobe is better than MJ. In certain aspects of the game, yes but not overall. Still, it would be fun watching him tie the great one and let the talking heads speak on that achievement for days on end.). So then, I'm officially naming the 2010-2011 NBA season "One Away." That should be our war cry this year. Did I mention that I'm giddy?

For kicks here's a nice youtube clip that emphasizes my point:

No comments:

Post a Comment