Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A "Prodigal Uncle" Part II of II

Click here for Part I

It was a small Christian church in Bangkok. I attended the service with my mom and a couple of friends from Biola. After the service was over I got up and looked towards the back and noticed my uncle sitting at the last row slowly getting up. And when I saw him, all 5’7, 110 pounds of him, I gave him a hug and I felt his frail boney body. Its as if I could’ve squeezed the last breath from his body like though I was folding a piece of tarp. The moment overtook me in an instant and I began weeping immediately. My friends gave me a moment to myself as I tried to collect my composure. My uncle said that he was still alive “because of Jesus.” For a man with such an abhorrent background to say that was an absolute miracle. I stood in awe at the manifestation of God’s grace in the life of my uncle.

I talked to him a few weeks ago on the phone and the pain of the cancer was getting unbearable. He knew that his time was near. He felt guilty about everything that he had done in his lifetime, especially towards our family. He kept saying that he was sorry, and he was in so much pain both physically and within his own soul. My mom and I would try and explain the concept of grace to him- that his debt was paid for by Jesus.

I believe that the Lord extended his life a year or so for him to understand that concept. Why else would he have been healed? I called him the “prodigal” uncle because he wasted his entire life pursuing the things of this world. Only at the end did he really see that it was all meaningless, insignificant and empty. But by God’s grace he was able to live for another year in a relationship with God. He didn’t fully understand the basic theological concept of grace (I’m not sure I do sometimes either) before he died. But he understands it more now than I ever will in this lifetime.

In the end, my uncle Paul wasted the majority of his life. However, because of the gospel of Jesus Christ, his soul was not wasted. The final year of his life he spent going to church every week and worshipping the God who redeemed his life. He was humble, meek, and fully aware of the borrowed time on his hands. Now, for all eternality he stands in the presence of the Almighty in a glorified body worshipping with the strength of a legion of men. I can’t believe he gets to do this before I do!! What a jerk!! Truly, where sin abounds – grace abounds much more.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting point about God extending your uncle's life. I would agree. It was a year to learn about and enjoy grace. You're right. It was a (mostly) wasted life, a reminder not to waste our own lives, but also of the richness and depth of grace in Christ who can take even the drunkard and turn him into a royal priesthood, a chosen vessel, a people of God's own possession.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks uncle John for your comment(s). A "royal priesthood" is right. What a sight it's going to be to see all of God's redeemed and even more so the Great Redeemer Himself.

    ReplyDelete