Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Guy Time


My Grace Group (home bible study) came up with the idea of emphasizing a new spiritual discipline each month. This month happens to be “building relationships.” You don’t normally consider fellowship as a spiritual discipline but it is (a discipline I excel at by the way). We decided to throw all our names in a hat to be paired up with another member of our group. The pair that was matched up decided when and where to “build the relationship.” Good call, of course whoever drew me was going to the Lakers game. And the winner is? Jared Miller. We’ve been friends for several years now but we hardly spend time outside of church and grace group.

First, Jared and I are in the same life stage; young, married, just a few years into our careers, looking for a house, and completely terrified of having kids. It was going to be a great time on different levels. We talked quite a bit about the things I just mentioned. What was interesting to me was how different we are personality-wise but how similar we look at things. Even our dogs get along with each other.

Second, we talked about our Grace Group (home bible study from church) and he offered some good insight into how the group is going. I don’t think I would have gotten it out of him in any other context. It made me think about all the people who attend our church who probably have great ideas and only need to be heard.

Finally, we went to a Laker game and had a blast. We decided to get to Staples Center early in order to get free parking and have some dinner. Jared is determined to eat Fish'N Chips at every single place that serves Fish N’ Chips in order to be a Fish'N Chips expert. The only problem is that he’s had so much Fish'N Chips he doesn’t remember which FNC is served where (We went to Rock'N Fish for dinner – good times). I like to keeps things simple, cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory. I don't need to eat cheesecake everywhere, although I might go on a cheesecake binge one summer and maybe blog about it, right before my ensuing heart-attack of course.

As I mentioned before, this is why I have season tickets. Yes, it’s a beautiful game. But even though you don’t have Laker tickets you should consider going outside your inner circle of friends at church (or any where else for that matter) and attempt to make some connections. Some of you might be thinking “I barely have time for my close friends why would I try and connect with other people?” Yes that is a valid point. I feel the tension there as well. Here’s my counter argument, some times with your close friends you tend to keep the “status quo.” What I mean by that is you go through your normal conversations (e.g., How are the kids? How’s work?) but you don’t go any further than that. When you make a connection with someone else outside that close circle, it reminds you that you should be talking about more important things because you realize there is limited time with this person so you cut through some of the shallow things. Hopefully, this will spill over to your other relationships. The amount of time spent isn’t always the most important thing but how you spend that time is (and have some Fish'N Chips while doing it).

4 comments:

  1. Jr., Some great thoughts here . . . and an excellent grace group idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Tom, we thought it was too. it's been working out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent thoughts, thanks for sharing, Jr. I do not...ahem...excel at hospitality as well as you. Which by the way, is the beautiful thing about the body of Christ, you—in your gifting—can teach the rest of the church (we who are not quite so gifted) about hospitality and relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks uncle John, I think it might be an Asian thing. We have the hospitality thing down!

    ReplyDelete