Friday, April 23, 2010

Round 1 - Game 3 Thoughts



Towards the end of the regular season watching my Lakers stubble into the post-season I had to endure all the articles being written about how they’re going to fail from repeating as champs this year. I hate to admit it but it’s looking more like that assertion is accurate.

After two close games with the up-and-coming Thunder I really wasn’t surprised at the outcome of last night’s game 3 lost (The Thunder were favored -3.5 and covered. Not that I notice these things.). I’ve watched basketball long enough to know when I “feel” a lose coming and game 3 certainly had that feel.

Yes it was a very winnable game. But Kobe, yes Kobe of all people, was the person who killed it for us. I had to watch Big Pappa (aka The father-in-law) grow increasingly frustrated with every stupid Kobe shot and throw his Starbucks cup across the room. The wives weren’t surprised at his reaction. What they were surprised by was how calm I was able to stay despite losing a very winnable game. As a long time Laker fan you have to know you simply live or die with Kobe and certainly last night we died. You just come to accept these things.

Here is a positive to take away. The last 5 times the Lakers have gone up 2-0 in a series they have lost game 3 all 5 times. They have also won all 5 series. That’s an encouraging fact. In addition, Phil Jackson is also 51-1 in series in which he has led at any point. So I like our chances against the Thunder who are playing their first playoff series (although in a couple of years when they get some experience I might not want to face them). If you remember last year in the opening round against Utah, Kobe had a bad game 3 and came back in game 4 and kicked butt. Repeat of history? I say, "Yes!"

Now I believe the Cavs will probably win the title this year. That doesn’t mean I won’t be routing for my Lakers with everything in me. But I’m trying to be objective and prepare myself emotionally if we come up short this year. If I don’t the wife will have a mess on her hands.

How the Lakers Could Win the Title:

Lebron looks like he’s at his peak. My buddy Bryan and I have conceded that he’s clearly the best player in the game despite being Laker fans. Kobe is banged up and it shows. Not a good sign because you’ll only go as far as your best player will take you.

After Kobe missed his 900th shot in a row last night, Phil Jackson finally called a time out. In the final two minutes, Kobe stopped settling for threes and started driving and kicking to open teammates. Guess what . . . they started scoring again. It’s easier to score when you have the ball. Kobe needs to change his game according to the context of the situation. Last night, he clearly wasn’t going to shot the Lakers back in it like he usually does. But can he change in a short time? Can he change from being “the guy” in those situations to simply one of the guys trying to win? I’m not sure. But if he does I like our chances much better because we have the best overall team talent-wise. With that, I’m already starting to feel good about game 4. I don’t have that “feeling” of a lost coming. Kobe will look to redeem himself. In what form, will be the interesting question. Will it be the mindless gunner? Or doing what the situation calls for? If it’s the latter, I think Big Pappa will hold on to his Starbucks this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment