Wednesday, September 9, 2009

NBA Season 2009-2010




Opening night is Oct 27 against the Clippers. Why does it seem so far away? ESPN panel of 53 NBA analysis came out with their predictions for the up and coming NBA season, 2009-2010. I can't wait for the up and coming season. I plan to renew my season tickets (for the 4th straight year). Although money is going to be tight and we are in the middle of trying to buy a house. Some may say that it's unwise to be buying season tickets during this poor economic downturn. This may be true, however, we (the Lakers) are a championship caliber team and will be for many years. In addition, we are coming off a championship year and Phil Jackson has never won a championship where he did not win two others that followed. That's my rational for renewing my season tickets and I think most people would agree that it's a wise move. Besides, I decided NOT to buy an iphone and renewed my contract with Verizon. I've been kicking myself ever since. I'm not going to let the same thing happen to my Lakers' season tickets, consequences be da****!

Furthermore, Laker tickets make great gifts (but don't ask me for any). I love the look that one of my pastor gives me when I tell him to take his son to a ball game. He serves so much at our church it's a great way to show some appreciation. Also, the games that I can't attend are easy to sell. I mean, think about it . . . they're Laker tickets! You don't have to package a deal. They sell themselves.

How about date night with the wife? Katie was never really into basketball when we started dating. I converted her quickly and now she even follows the Lakers on her own time and enjoys talking to me about anything and everything that involve the Lakers. Now that's an amazing wife (she doesn't like the Laker girls though, go figure). Not to mention, when I need some time with my boys, what better place to do it than at a Laker game? I already have my check list of must see games:

- Oct 27, vs. Clippers (Dom) - Opening night, free shirts, and the presentation of championship rings.

- Nov. 17, vs. Detroit (Brent) - Brent is a big Detroit fan but we're still friends. We're both teaching in the same district and going through the same school for our teaching credentials. In other words, it's a perfect time to vent.

- Dec. 4, vs. Miami (Dom) - Dom's a D-Wade fan. If you don't think that both D-Wade and Kobe don't circle this date you're crazy. Last year, Dom and I upgraded to VIP and those two were a wonder to watch. You truly can't appreciate their basketball abilities without seeing it up close and live (Lord, why couldn't you make me that good? That will be one of my questions in heaven).

- Dec 25, vs. Lebron - No more need be said.

- Dec 29, vs. Golden State (Chris) - Chris is a GS fan. This is a good time for Chris and I to catch up on things.

- Jan 29 @Philadelphia - there's an outside chance that the wife and I will fly to Philly for this game and visit Aaron and Megan in the process. The wife always wanted to visit Philly (among other cities) and I always wanted to fly out to a great city and watch a Laker road game. It works out for both of us. Of course, I'm still waiting on Aaron getting back to me to confirm that he'll be available (Aaron - hurry up and get back to me!).

- Feb. 28, vs. Denver (the wife) - it's a national televised game (Sunday morning). Now here's a great day. You go to the early service at your church then drive to LA for a brunch at The Original Pantry Cafe, the food is great! Afterwards, you could take your time and park because you're already there super early. As a result, parking isn't a hassle and it's cheap. The closer to game time the more it cost for parking because people working the lots knows you're probably running late and are desperate and try and take advantage of you like you're hooked on drugs and they're the drug dealers. Once you walk in the Staple Center the excitement begins and you feel the buzz in the air. You sit down in your seats and begin listening "I Love L.A." by Randy Newman and somehow for those few minutes you forget about all the bad stuff that Los Angeles has going for it and you just remember, the Lakers! The video of all the Laker greats come on starting with George Mikan, then moving to highlights of Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, and Wilt Chamberlain. Then the Showtime era with Kareem, Magic, Worthy, and Cooper then transitioning to the Phil, Kobe and Shaq championships. After all that, they show a highlight mix of all the current Lakers on a giant shower curtain and once it finishes it drops to the ground in slow motion, instantly the lights come on. One by one each member of the starting lineup are introduced with Kobe being the last one coming out to a hero's welcome that would have rivaled a Roman gladiator. It's game time! I'm sorry but no television can come close to that experience.

- April 4, vs. San Antonio (the wife) - Why not? You could always count on this being a good game.

- April 11, vs. Portland (the wife) - I just like to go to this game and bag on my buddy Bryan (who moved to Portland) as the Lakers lay the smack down on the Blazers. This makes me feel better all over and inside.

Undoubtingly, they'll be more games I'll be attending but these are the must-see games and the people that accompany me are a part of the experience. Attending Laker games is a tradition that I made for myself and one that I think I'm going to stick with. Everyone should have a tradition that they share with the ones whom they love. This happens to be mine and it happens to be an expensive one.

Imagine years from now when Junior Jr. comes along, I realize that Kobe will be retired by then but if you know the Lakers they'll have another star in the fold, I'll be talking about Kobe like my father talked about . . . wait a minute! I didn't have a father, forget that thought. But hold on a second . . . that's another point, I could build great memorizes with my future son and what better way to do that than attending Laker games with him? Is there a better father/son bonding time? Okay, maybe reading to him at night and constantly affirming him in all he does but lets not forget that a good-old-fashion ball game is when you could truly let your hair down and allow your son to know that it's okay to have fun in life. I think this gets left out too often. So yes, it's an expensive tradition, but well worth it because it will result in good parenting.

4 comments:

  1. The wife gives official approval to the purchase of the tickets (and in fact even likes the idea. :) I am making note of all these dates in my calendar and am holding you to them. Since I fell in love with you over a conversation about Kobe (as you like to claim) just imagine how much more in love we'll be by the time the season is over! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the way I see it, if the wife ensnared you in her web of afternoon naps, you returned the favor with the Lakers. What Murphy in her right mind would agree to shell out a zillion dollars for season tickets to anything?!? Not even to the Whittier Christian Heralds!?!

    Thinking through this on a serious note, the danger here is that your zeal for the Lakers steals your zeal for Christ. Matt Chandler put it this way:

    "The same goes for following sports. It's not wrong, but if I start watching sports, I begin to care too much. I get stupid. If 19-year-old boys are ruining your day because of what they do with a ball, that's a problem. These things rob my affections for Christ. I want to fill my life with things that stir my affections for him."

    How to prevent that? Do exactly what you are doing. Use the tickets for ministry! (Very cool idea). Date night with the wife (excellent). Taking the son of a pastor (brilliant). Catching up with good buddies (God-honoring). Establishing a relationship as a foundation for evangelism (Yep, I'm thinking that works).

    Oh, and by the way, we think Brent is a GREAT guy, even though we have never met him. GO PISTONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle John, I'll let Brent know that you have his approval.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry, Uncle John, I haven't completely lost my mind. When we talked about renewing the tickets, I actually mentioned the very thing that you pointed out- I liked the fact that Jr was able to use them to pass off to our pastor and his son like he has done for years and that the tickets were built in ways for him to have some good guy time with the men that are important in his life. Since we sell back the ones we don't use, which ends up being most of them, it's actually not too much of a net loss (so I haven't completely lost my Murphyness :)) Great quote by Chandler, by the way. I don't think I have that problem with sports, but there certainly are plenty of other things that I could insert into that quote and realize that although they seem like good things, they can easily steer my passions and energy away from Christ. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete