Wednesday, November 4, 2009

What A Weekend part II of II

SATURDAY:

I figured that the weekend was young and so was the season. There was nothing to worry about. My Saturday morning routine is playing basketball at the La Mirada Community Center. The regulars were there but the place was thin. We had just enough people to play full-court. My team lost every single game and I played terribly. I was so frustrated that I busted a Lebron and stormed out of the gym without saying anything to anyone. Not exactly a good witness.



I didn’t give up on this weekend quite yet. After I got back from basketball, Dom called me up again to meet up at The Boat for a late lunch (or at least that’s what we called it so we could go restaurant hopping later. Note to you guys: if you were thinking about taking a girl to this place don’t. It’s strictly a guys place and the girls were complaining about the lack of food choice (burgers with chilly, lots of it – I think that’s pretty much a guys meal) and more big screen televisions playing sports, which caused Dom and I to stair into them like the little girl from Poltergeist. So to appease the ladies, we decided to go to Old Town Pasadena. The wife says, “It’s Halloween, it’s going to be weird over there.” Simultaneously, I was thinking “It’s Halloween, it’s going to be cool over there!” Go figure.

At arrival we started out at Louise’s. It was coffee around except for Dom. He had mozzarella sticks. The wife and I tried some Zabaglione. It was crap. We had some good and edifying fellowship, talking about life, and how we think the Lakers will repeat this year. We also talked about up and coming movies we were looking forward to. Dom and I wanted to see Ninja Assassin. The girls said, “That’s boy’s night out.” I guess they were waiting for an inspirational movie like Blind Side.

Afterwards, we went walking around for a bit, witnessed a car accident, and watched a fat spider-man pass out balloons while we were waiting to be seated at Cheesecake Factory. If you’re counting we’ve attended three restaurants in five hours. Word! On the way home I wanted to take a picture with the 90-year-old Green Lantern. The wife didn’t see the point. Killjoy.

SUNDAY:

We went to the early service at our church in the morning, listened to a great sermon in Isaiah, and wondered if my sister in-law-Becky was going to bring another boy with her to church and call him her “friend.” I like talking to her “friend(s)” because they make things sooooooooooo awkward I find it absolutely hilarious. Why can’t they just be normal and have a normal conversation? Why do they feel the need to try and be witty? Do they not know they are talking to the Master of Wit himself? Teenagers these days simply don’t know how to play it cool. But I digress.

After a Sunday afternoon nap I went with my buddy Andrew (Bubba) to the Lakers’ game, hoping that they would redeem themselves from the terrible game on Friday. I haven’t hung out with Bubba for a while and it was a good time catching up with him. We talked about life and how his family was doing. It was a fun game and we even got in a Sasha-hate section, which just made my night. In addition, there were a couple of drunk guys in the section scouting out, “You suck!” to anyone and everyone (they were scouting out other things but I won’t repeat them here). It always adds another level entertainment when you have a couple of drunk guys in your section. We even got on the JamboTron. I hope they were season ticket owners.



Kobe dropped 41 and we got the win. Not bad. On the way to the car, Bubba insisted I finally try the “sewer dog” his treat (he actually bought four of them, I’m not making this up). Well, since he was buying I had to try one. I didn’t have the girls telling me how gross and unhealthy they are. I KNOW how gross and unhealthy they are but what’s life if you don’t try a “sewer dog” at least once? It was great. Probably worth the months it shaved off my life.

What a weekend in deed. Just when I thought it was going to be a terrible one it turned itself around. This made me come up with a new motto: “If life gives you lemons, then make Mike’s Hard Lemonade.” Beautiful. I think I’ll start my diet tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. "Staring at the television like the little girl from Poltergeist." Brilliant.

    "Ninja Assasin." Not so much. The trailer for that looks like a CGI comic strip, which obviously is an attempt to appeal to teenaged boys who have no other life than to watch stupid, predictable, fake movies. Give me Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fact Check Part 2:
    #1) Jess and I actually did NOT complain about the food. In fact, I consciously made a decision not to so that my eating habits would not affect the fun that the rest of the group had. Little good it did me to keep my mouth shut since I got blamed for it anyways! :)
    #2) Jr failed to explain that when he wanted a picture with the Green Lantern, my camera was at the bottom of my purse, we were in a group of about 15-20 people, the light had turned green, and we were being pushed by the crowd out into the crosswalk, The Green Lantern was at the back of the crowd, and we were at the front. Call me crazy, but I didn't think risking life or limb was worth a picture with a 90 year old man who was having way too much fun wearing green tights in public.

    I will admit to the not liking Halloween. There are just too many weirdos!
    still love you, babe! :)

    ReplyDelete