Wednesday, November 11, 2009

2010 NBA All-Star Ballot part I of II - East



Here is the 2010 NBA All-Star Game ballot. The fans vote for the starters (this is the first year you could text your vote) and the coaches vote to full out the rest of the roster. Coaches cannot vote for their own players.




Every year fans ruin one or three spots on the starting roster. Although I'm a Laker fan I want to give my picks and my justification for them. I like trying to be objective in my evaluation (that's why I'm not picking the Lakers' starting five) even though you may not agree with everything I'm saying, I'll give sound reasons for my starters this year.

First, it's only be a few weeks into the season. It's probably a little early to be thinking about the All-Star game already. But since the ballots are out, why not at least start talking about it. Second, my picks are based on who is playing the best right now. Of course this could change in two/three months time. But if we HAD to pick the starters today, based on the few games that have been played already, who deserves to start? I'm not a fan of the "he's exciting to watch so I'll vote for him even though there are three or four guys playing better than him" mentality. Finally, there are tough choices to be made when there are only a limited amount of spots and a larger number of great players. Someone is not going to make the cut although they might be deserving. When there are several deserving players for a particular spot, I like to use character as one of the deciding factors. Something that most people don't even consider. You could make arguments until the cows come home but at the end of the day this is just my humble opinion. You don't have to agree with me. And if you don't, I really don't care.

The East:



Lets get the easy ones out of the way.

Forwards:
Lebron: Do I really need to say anything?

KG: Now KG might not be putting up his Minnesota numbers and other forwards, like Chris Bosh, are putting up better numbers. But you can't statistically measure what KG brings to the table in the form of defensive intensity and keeping Boston operating as one singular unit. That can't be measured by numbers. KG doesn't care about stats and that's a lost virtue in today's game and should be honored with a starting spot in the All-Star game.

Center:
Dwight Howard: He's the best center in the league. I chuckled when the Cavs traded for Shaq "so he could guard Dwight one-on-one." Really!? Maybe if it was 2001 but it'll be 2010 when the playoffs start. And Shaq currently weighs about 500 pounds. Wouldn't it be ironic if the Cavs and Magic meet in the playoffs again (likely) and realize that they can't stop Howard with Shaq alone (more likely) and employed the "hack-a-Howard" with Shaq on the team? All those years of Shaq complaining of such a tactic? What would be the comical scale? An 8 or 9?

Guards:
Dwyane Wade: He's picking up where he left off last year when he was leading the lead in scoring. He'll be in MVP talks all year and has the Heat to a surprising 6-1 start. He's one of the most exciting players to watch and by all accounts seems to be a decent person with a crazy ex-wife.

Derrick Rose: Okay, I have to admit this might be a mistake at this point because how can you choose someone over Rajon Rondo who is currently shooting 59% from the field, leading the league is steals (3.10) and dropping 9 dimes per game? Here's my reasoning, there were a few experts who predicted the Bulls were not going to make the playoffs this year. By all accounts, it looks like that might not be the case. A big part of that is Derrick Rose. Yes Rondo is putting up better numbers but again, it's not all about the numbers.

Factoring in the immaturity issues that Rondo apparently has and Rose gets the edge. I'll fully admit that if Rondo gets the starting spot it wouldn't be a bad choice. You could really flip a coin on this one. But I'm guessing since Boston is a title contender that Rondo will get it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment