Tuesday, November 3, 2009

What A Weekend part I of II

FRIDAY:

In the afternoon I took a fitness test. All but two categories were either above average or well above average (e.g., cardio, strength – I’m flexing as I’m typing that one, etc). My body fat was only average, sad day. We’ll have to work on that but not this weekend. Overall I’m in good health. I don’t know how else to celebrate good health other than completely tanking it for the weekend.



It’s been a while since the wife and I spent any time with Dom and Jess so I decided to make a phone call and get us some Laker tickets for Friday night’s game versus the Dallas Mavericks (that’s how I roll). Dom and I decided to meet up early and eat the ESPN Zone at LA Live. This way we could really do some catching up instead of just yelling at the refs and Sasha Vujacic.



The traffic on the way was dreadfully painful despite the fact the wife and I left two hours early. It’s Friday night and people are hitting the club scene, so that’s LA for ya. Dom and I have never been to this particular ESPN Zone but they have T.V(s). EVERYWHERE playing every game you could possibly imagine. There was a T.V. at every table. Do we need to research to see if a bunch of guys thought of this idea? I think we could figure that one out (Can you imagine the meeting that took place here? A group of fat guys sitting around in expansive suits coming up with a restaurant idea and saying, "Hey, why don't we put T.V(s). EVERYWHERE and play every single game possible all at once? Guys won't even care what's on the menu!" This was definitely one of those "Why didn't I think of it first" moments for me.) They were showing the Boston/Chicago game. Needless to say that guys didn’t contribute much dialogue and the girls were slightly frustrated. I’m sorry but when you decided to marry Dom or myself, you have to know that basketball is a part of life (I’m planning to devote an entire blog to this).



After dinner and about three words between Dom and myself, we entered the game from the Star Plaza entrance. Why do I mention the entrance? The reason being, if you’ve never been to a Laker game you don’t know that entering through the Star Plaza right before game time encompasses enough scandal (e.g., drug dealing, scalping tickets, soliciting prostitutes, etc) to last about three Sopranos episode. My regular season ticket entrance is on Figueroa Street. It’s pretty uneventful on that end except for the fat guitar player at the corner jamming away with his 600-watt amp and the “sewer dogs” that they sell on the corner (more on this later).

I was pretty excited. It was my first game of the year and we’re favorites to win the Western Conference for a third straight year. Then the game started, at least for Dallas, and my Lakers rolled over with a lifeless effort, which had the entire crowd shaking their heads. I thought to myself, “Wow! I went through LA traffic, paid for these seats, and paid a drunk parking attendant an additional $10 (he was so drunk you probably couldn’t tell what kind of bill I was giving him) for this crappy game!” My only enjoyment of the night was booing Sasha profusely. Interestingly, there were a couple of middle-age Korean ladies sitting next to us. One of them leaned over to Katie and asked, “Are you guys season ticket holders?” Katie replied, “Yes, but our normal seats are on the other side.” The Korean lady says, “Good, I’m a Sasha fan and I didn’t want to endure your husband profusely booing Sasha, even when he gets on the JamboTron, for an entire season.” Well, I’m glad one of us was relieved. This on top of Boston destroying Chicago the same night. Am I heading to a 2008 repeat?

All of us went back to the car dejected, but on the way there, I smelled the “sewer dogs” (a hot dog wrapped in bacon served with grilled onions and peppers with all the fittings) cooking on the grill. I didn't bother asking how it got that name. I'm sure that I don't want to know. But it was calling my name. When I was thinking about getting one, the girls collectively voiced how grossed out they were at the very idea of eating one of those things. Well then, I can’t even comfort myself with a “sewer dog” over a loss like that. Not a good way to start the weekend.



Click here for part II.

1 comment:

  1. I love Jr's blogs, but I warned him when I got to pre-read this one that I would be forced to do a fact check so that I didn't sound like the lamest wife in the world.
    Fact Check #1: Yes, we did go to ESPN sports zone. Yes, there were TVs all over the place, and yes, we girls did mention laughingly that it would be a terrible place for any girl to go on a date with a guy. Jess and Dom have been married for 7 years, and I have dated and been married to Jr through 2 full Lakers seasons, one which finished with an ugly loss to Boston, and one which ended in a championship. Jess and I know full well what we are getting ourselves into when we join the boys for sports games or at sports restaurants. We would hardly waste time being frustrated with them over a lack of attention in such a setting- talk about futility!
    #2: On our way to Staples, Jr told me about his average body fat and how I was supposed to help him improve. On the way out, he wanted the sewer dog. Beyond the fact that it probably was leftover from the game 2 days before and full of bacteria, the whole thing was pure fat. I was in a catch 22 because either way I get blamed. If I stop him, I'm the killjoy wife. If I don't, he suffers later from an upset stomach, the body fat increases, and he asks why I didn't stop him. What is a woman supposed to do in that instance? I went with the kind reminder of telling him what was probably in them, and he made the decision to pass...at least that night!
    More fact checks to come with part 2.
    love you babe! :)

    ReplyDelete