Saturday, January 4, 2014

In Memory of Geoff Dykstra


This morning I attended the monthly Men’s Breakfast at my church, and it was announced that Geoff Dykstra went home to be with the Lord today. He had been battling cancer for several months. Geoff leaves behind him his wife, Leah, and his five children.

I didn’t know Geoff well and only had a couple of conversations with him. However, his shining example of his love for Christ was not lost on me. At the Men’s Breakfast, people went around sharing moments of Geoff’s life. He clearly had an impact on the lives of those around him. There were several things said about Geoff that really stood out; his consistent joyful attitude, how he loved his children and wife, and his desire to serve others. More than a few members from our church visited him in the hospital and noticed he knew everyone’s name. Geoff greeted all the nurses, doctors, and janitors by name and felt it was his mission to be an example of Christ’s love to the people around despite the fact that he was dying of cancer.

During a church work day a few months ago, even in his weakened state, Geoff showed up to pass out water for the guys that were working, wearing a breathing mask so he wouldn’t get sick. There are countless stories of how godly this man was.

As I think about this, there are a few things I just want to mention.

First, Geoff would hate getting any attention like this. He would deflect the attention back on the Lord. It was his love for Jesus that made him the person we all can aspire to.

Second, I’ve never been at a church where someone was sick and the entire church felt it. Throughout Geoff’s process, from being diagnosed with cancer and the treatment that followed, the church constantly updated the members about his situation and health status. There was constant support and prayers for him and his family (support which will continue as his wife and children face new challenges). No sermon or book could’ve taught me how to suffer with those who suffer better than the way my church did by this example.

Finally, I feel honored and privileged having known Geoff, even a little. His example of being a loving father to his children I will take with me and aspire to. I also feel honored and privileged that these are the types of people who attend my church. One of the elders told Geoff before he died that the church would take care of his family. All of us are happy to follow in that pledge.

As the years goes by I’m learning more and more about the function of the Body of Christ. We are vessels of God’s love and mercy. We are an army that fights for each other’s holiness. We are a hospital for the sick and a food bank for the hungry. We correct and rebuke. We encourage and affirm. We say God’s people are never alone. We walk together through the fires of hell and fields of lilies. We stand shoulder to shoulder from the depths of the earth and to the heights of heaven. We are His bride. We are His body. We are the church.


If you want to know a little more about Geoff Dykstra his blog is here.

If you want to give to the Dykstra Fund in order to help support his family - CLICK HERE.

6 comments:

  1. Great blog. I am grieving with you. What a great example indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post encapsulates Geoff so well. I'm his aunt (his mother is my sister). He was always a happy person, willing to help anyone who needed help... cheerfully. Thank you for your beautiful post about a beautiful man and a beautiful family. He will be sorely missed by so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read it. I'm happy to honor him in this way.

      Delete