Saturday, July 30, 2011

Thoughts On Some Up Coming Movies

I don't know about you but watching the movies that Hollywood is pumping out is like watching McDonalds make their Chicken McNuggets. It's just gross. Okay, so the movie Battleship is a film inspired by the Milton Bradley board game, which James Cameron criticizes Hollywood's lack of creativity. I didn't really need James Cameron to tell me that Hollywood is lacking in the creativity department. I mean, when I was a kid I had the game as well but I don't remember any alien spacecrafts or Brookly Decker in the game. How dumb is it to make a movie off of a board game? Maybe people think that if Disney could a movie franchise based off a ride then there are no bounds. Apparently there are no bounds for good reasoning either. I think I'll take a pass on this one.



The Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a reboot of the Planet of the Apes series in the late 1960(s). I also remember the series when I was a kid. Even as a kid, I remembered the corny dialogue and the K-Mart halloween level ape costumes used for the show. Now there Hollywood decided to reboot this series with an origin story I said to myself, "Why would I watch a movie knowing that in the end we (humans) get our butts kicked." I mean, are we not the good guys? At least I like to think so. At least in Battleship I know that we'll win in the end because any Human vs. Aliens movies we come out on top, right? How in the world is this a selling point for anyone? I've never caught the Harry Potter fever. Boy wizards are just not my thing. But I could understand why others would be into it. But Apes kicking the crap out of us? Out-smarting us? And taking over the world? Really? Who's going to sign up for that? Animal rights activists? The people from PETA? Do they even watch movies?



The Smurfs Movie is already out and you're not going to believe this but it's getting terrible reviews. The people that are young enough to remember the cartoon are now too old to care. Furthermore, if the current kids generation doesn't know about The Smurfs why would they care? This movie is about three decades too late. But this is just another example of Hollywood saying, "We got nothin'."



In the end, I hope that we don't keep watching and paying for crap because Hollywood would making crap and jacking up the prices to boot. It's like Starbucks over-charging for their coffee. If there are people willing to pay, they'll be people willing to sell.

2 comments:

  1. Preach it, bro! I've watched the new movies come out week after week and it's just depressing. Transformers 3 (a movie about a kid's toy? Seriously?). Harry Potter 25 (not the least bit interested, but then I'm an oldster). And Battleship? Who signed off on that? I am trending more and more towards low budget movies that tell a compelling story. The ONLY movie I've paid to see this summer is "A Better Life," which is an excellent movie tracing the themes of the plight of illegal immigrants, the desire for a better life, the relationship between an overworked father and his son, and the necessity of family. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Harry Potter 25" that was funny! I'll have to check out "A Better Life." Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete