Sunday, November 23, 2014

Faces of Grace


I said I wanted to start writing a series called, "Grace Uncovered" but I think the churches idea of calling it "Faces of Grace" is way better.

Today was another Reflection Service my church does to allow the body of Christ to minister to the, you know, body of Christ. It's a way of saying "It isn't just about the pastors up front." One of the stories today really stood out to me. My buddy Ronnie shared how his marriage was in trouble and that one of our elders, Ric, had helped him and his wife through it. They are in a much better place now. Ronnie continued sharing saying that he was convinced that he and his wife wouldn't be married right now if it wasn't for one of our elders coming along side them and helping them fight for their marriage. As a result, I've seen first hand how Ronnie fights not only for his own marriage but for the marriages of others as well. He's a man of God but that was a result of older men coming into his life and investing in it.

That sounds profoundly biblical. Sadly, that's not always the case in some churches. Unfortunately, I have another friend who is going through a divorce. His wife claims he's an abuser and went to the elders with this accusation. Making a long story short, his elders didn't fight for the marriage, didn't support him in anyway, and allowed the marriage to dissolve.

I love that my buddy Ronnie had the confidence to share his marriage was in trouble in front of the entire church. I love that my elders fight for marriage because they take the biblical mandate seriously. I already wrote my thoughts on divorce and how it's a blight on the kingdom of God. I've known Ronnie since he was in high school. I've known his wife Crystal since she was in junior high. It would've broken my heart deeply to see them get a divorce. Instead, because of the examples of our godly elders Ronnie is not only still married but also leading a home bible study and also pastoring and investing into the lives of others in much the same he people invested into him. Ric Rodeheaver and Ronnie Gonzales are two of the "faces" at Grace EV Free La Mirada. I'm grateful to have such wonderful examples before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment