Friday, September 23, 2011

This Week In Movies

If you know me personally you’ll know that I love movies and I love to dissect them like the frog in my high school Biology class (which I hardly showed up for). Well, I should say that I love good movies and if you’ve been following my blog for any amount of time you’ll know I complain quite a bit on the quality, or lack thereof, of movies lately. Let’s take a quick look at what’s out this week.

Abduction



When Lionsgate decide to make Abduction with Twilight heart-throb Taylor Lautner, I immediately thought this movie was going to be a Twilight version of the Jason Bourne movies (which rocked!). If you’re going to make an action flick you better make sure to market it to men who watch to see someone kicking some tail. When you cast Taylor Lautner as the lead character you’re slapping men who enjoy action flicks in the face. And I don’t like getting slapped in the face. We have the common sense to know when Lautner is the lead in a movie the studio is marketing to young women. Thanks but no thanks. I’ll take a pass. Although I have a feeling my buddy Bryan will go to this stupid move because he has daughters. Good luck.

Read Abduction reviews here.

Moneyball



There are only two things I know about Major League Baseball. First, I live in L.A. so I know the Dodgers are currently awful. The second thing is everyone seems to hate the Yankees for some reason. Outside of those two things you could convince me Babe Ruth was still playing. However, the movie Moneyball seems interesting. I know it seems like the typical “Bad News Bears” us against the world typical sports movie but I like movie that challenges the conventional type of thinking in order to achieve greatness. Besides, Brad Pitt is in the movie. Yes, I’m a heterosexual man AND a Brad Pitt fan. Also, my buddy Chris Hunt is an A’s fan and we haven’t hung out for a while. This would be a perfect excuse to get him out of the house.


Read Moneyball reviews here.

Machine Gun Preacher



The title alone sparks interest. As a Christian man I have a problem with a preacher using any type of gun. But there is something in me that wants to see how this plays out. A former drug-dealer and criminal comes to know Christ and decides to become a missionary in East Africa sounds astonishing. Of course this is Hollywood, which is notorious for taking good premises and running them into the ground. I’m taking the “open but cautious” approach, which usually means I’m renting it.

Reviews were not available.

No comments:

Post a Comment