Monday, September 5, 2011

The Return From The Motherland part I

The trip to Thailand was about two weeks long. We started things out in Phuket, Southern Thailand. It’s a beautiful tropical place. However, it’s also extremely touristy. Actually, you see more foreigners than Thai people there. Fortunately we stayed at the

Avista Resort, which is off the main strip and tucked away on top of the hill keeping us away from the madness. Nice.

Katie's review of the Resort is here.

We had a nice time relaxing at the beaches and enjoying the nice restaurant at the resort. One of the main things to do there was take a boat ride to some of the local islands and go snorkeling. If you know me, you know that I don’t like boats, water, or being anywhere near where a potential shark could be. It also didn’t help that I just got through watching Shark Week on the Discovery channel back at home. I even posted this on my Facebook page:

My wife wants to go snorkeling but I just saw Shark Week ... conflict ahead.

Here are some of the funnier responses I got:

Mike (brother-in-law): Take a pocketknife.

Rory: I wouldn’t worry about it unless you’re dressed like a seal.

Victoria (sister): Oh my goodness! That makes me nervous! I just saw shark week too!!!! Def pocket knife! Remember to punch them in the nose and swim like a mad man!!!! Don't deprive Katie of an exciting once in a lifetime adventure!!!

Andre: Don't worry dude, if it happens just make a movie showing how your still able to play basketball.

David: with a peg leg. ;)

Frankie: If u bit by a shark, then we'll all see u on SHARK WEEK!!

Josie: I saw the episode where the dog got attacked and made it, so I think you'll be just fine :)
Facebook is pretty fun for times like these. It felt like everyone was on vacation with us. In short, we went on the snorkeling trip and visited many of the surrounding islands. They were beautiful with white sands as soft as powder and clear blue, warm water. I hear sharks don’t like warm water. Real nice! During the tour we heard the guide mention that they filmed the movie The Beach there about twenty-seven times. Most importantly, I made it back in one piece.


The rest of the time in Phuket, Katie and I took the local bus and walked around town taking in the sights. The beach was right down the street from the Resort where we were staying. One of the days we spent at the beach, and I simply read a good book and occasionally looked up and admired the beauty of God’s creation. There were moments I was overcome with emotions because I saw not only God’s goodness around me but also upon me; His grace not only sustaining the world and everything in it, but also His grace and kindness toward me as an individual. The fact that I didn’t encounter any sharks was the cherry on top on the Sundae of God’s goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment