Tuesday, February 15, 2011

No, Mr. President: John Piper's Response to President Obama on Abortion

My buddy Dom posted this YouTube clip of John Piper's response to President Obama's stance on abortion on his Facebook page. I reposted on my page thinking that it was a good exhortation for us Christians to think about. As I gave it some more thought, Piper's response struck a chord with me. What stood out to me was John Piper's anger. Now if you know anything about John Piper you know that he's passionate and being angry is nothing new. But what made it profound was that it was a display of godly anger.

The world thinks that anger is a negative emotion and in most cases, it is displayed in terrible, horrific, and ungodly ways. This made me think about things I get angry about, like my dogs not listening to me, losing pick-up basketball games, when the Lakers lose, when I'm stuck in terrific, or stuck in a class that I hate. You get the picture. But rarely do I display godly anger in these instances. It's probably because they're trivial things, things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

This short YouTube clip is a rare occasion where anger is displayed in a God-glorifying manner. Killing unborn people created in the image of God should make us angry. I'm certainly not advocating blowing up abortion clinics but I am advocating standing up for what we believe in as Christians and not caring what the world may think of us, that is what true courage is.

No comments:

Post a Comment