Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Tribute to Aunt Tippy




A month ago I attended my Aunt’s funeral (mother’s sister). As I sat in the chapel with my sister (Vicky) and my cousins, who have just lost their mother, I realize that death is the tragic reminder that something is horribly wrong. My Aunt was actually the first Christian in my family. The Chaplin spoke kind words about my Aunt. Interestingly, there were similar types of stories spoken about my Aunt that were spoken about my mother. The attributes that were emphasized in these stories were kindness, compassion, and a love for others that shined so intensely bright you can’t help but be moved by their mere presences.

Sadly, seeing my cousins and uncle mourn the death my aunt reminded me of what my sister and I recently went through with the death of my mother. Although it brought back ill emotions it also brought back the hope that is in Christ Jesus. Namely, that He has conquered death.

Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?
1 Cor. 15:55 – NIV


Being on the brink of death is the closest a person could be between this life and the eternal. Jesus took the bitter taste of death. He fought it for three days and three nights and resurrected in eternal victory. If you live long enough you’ll lose loved ones. That’s the way it is in a fallen world. However, the theological truth of Christ’s resurrection gives me the boldness and confidence to stare death in the face and hold my ground. Though my life may be taken, I shall fear no evil.

In her last days, my aunt was in a lot of pain. However, she never stopped smiling and telling the people around her how much she loved them. The intense pain was not enough to take away the joy that was set before her. She stared death in the face for a time. Now, she stares at the beautiful face of the one who destroyed death. Pain free and in a new glorified body, my aunt is the envy of us all. My prayer and hope that the legacy of her joy in Christ would be lived out in her beautiful daughters and in this nephew of hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment