Monday, October 4, 2010

The Beauty of My Woman



My friend, Kristi, from Biola University sent an email to some male friends asking our opinion of our special women. This was the email:

Men of God,

I am preparing a bible study for women on beauty. This will be totally anonymous. Can you please reply by sharing what makes a woman or your woman beautiful to you? (Of course this will lead back to God's perspective of women). Your answer is up to your interpretation. Physical, inner qualities, actions or all the above! Thank you for your transparency and help!

Grateful,
Kristi


Since Kristi is a good friend, I wanted to give it some thought and not just email her back with lame clichés that have no meaning behind them. All men want godliness, but it looks different for different people. There are many women I personally know who are godly women. Does that mean I would be willing to marry any one of them? No. So lets get the vagueness out of the way and get started.

First the Physical component:

It’s not a big secret that men are visually driven. That’s just how we’re wired. Before you start thinking we’re shallow and only pursue “hot chicks,” there is an aspect of female physicality you may not know. Did you ever consider that how a girl looks physically could reveal something of her character? If a girl is in good shape, works out regularly, dresses modestly, doesn’t use too much make-up and still manages to look smokin,’ doesn’t that give insight into her character at least a little? I say yes. (Let me make it clear that I’m not saying every girl should look like Megan Fox but I’m simply saying its good to have a healthy life-style.)

It is true that God loves all His people and that everyone is “wonderfully and fearfully made.” There is a uniqueness of being created in the image of God. However, it is also our responsibility to be good stewards of what God has given us, including our bodies.

My wife is great at all the things mentioned above. I appreciate these things about her. It comes so naturally to her. And yes, she’s smokin’.

Second – Approachability:

Do you ever notice those women who give off that vibe that they could care less about you? They act like they’re an exclusive club and should have a red velvet rope around them? They don’t greet anyone but their friends and go out of their way NOT to acknowledge you. Yes, I like to call those types of girls bee-otch-es. I can’t stand that kind of arrogance. Can a girl be friendly, warming, and approachable without looking easy? I say yes.

Interestingly, some guys are attracted to the standoffish behavior because they think it’s a challenge. It’s a mountain to be climbed. Since I’m afraid of heights, I just stay away from mountains altogether.

Thirdly – Servanthood

My wife does an amazing job taking care of me by cooking dinner every night and making sure I have a lunch the next day. Of course I thank her by doing my share around the house (e.g., taking out the trash, making the bed, pretending to like the dog, etc.). She does this willingly and is joyful in doing it.

Fourth – Easy-going/Flexibility

When it comes to planning things we want to do, she’s rather easy-going about it. She could do whatever whenever. She’s not high maintenance and is extremely flexible. This does not come without its frustrations because sometimes neither one of us can make a decision. I will say, “What do you want to do honey?” She usually replies, “Whatever, dear.” This exchange repeats itself for about another twenty-seven times before I finally make a decision.

Finally - Complementary

My wife complements me well. I remember talking to my buddy Dom regarding how thankful we were for our wives. We both looked back at the girls we used to date or were interested in and praised the Lord it didn’t work out (I won’t get into details but God is truly merciful). She gives me another perspective on issues that I’m trying to think through. She’s very intelligent and offers sound reason from her side of the equation. She’s exactly what I need to become a better man, a man shaped more and more in the image of Christ through a personified picture of God’s grace towards me.

I know I could write tons more but that’s it in a nutshell. I hope that helps Kristi, and I’ll be praying for your Bible study to go well.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jr.! I'm forwarding this on to my daughter. Oh, and in regards to standoffish women, one wonders where exactly they see that pattern in Christ's life. I acknowledge that sometimes people appear standoffish, but it is really introversion, but I don't think this is the kind of person you're talking about. You're talking about the "I'm really better than you, so don't waste my time" person. This is NOT someone for the long haul, I guarantee it, because living with a self-centered person is a prescription for a life of misery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Uncle John, that's really good - "living with a self-centered person is a prescription of a life of misery." I wished I used that one. And yes, I should've mentioned that I've met standoffish "Christian" women. No joke. Even if you're in the same room with them you feel the "I'm really better than you, so don't waste my time." Like you said already, you didn't really see that pattern in the life of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've met them too as you can probably guess. Not something I'm interested in because I, personally, do not enjoy misery.

    ReplyDelete