Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Sister's Love



Growing up I never really got along with my younger sister Vicky. Our birthdays are a day apart and I hated the fact that we had to share birthday parties and cake while growing up. In high school, she decided to steal my car and take it out for a midnight spin. Of course "someone else hit her" and she thought that simply parking it back in the garage no one would notice the next day. Well, my mom noticed and was ready to chop my balls off thinking I had crashed the car. Good times! I don't use the word "hate" that often but we hated each other with a passion.

After I became a Christian our relationship took a turn for the better. It took a turn for the better only in a manner that could be explained by the having redemption through the blood of Christ. Once I realized I was a sinner in need of a Savior and God graciously reconciled my relationship to Him, I realized that I needed to reconcile my relationship with my younger sister.

A couple of years ago our mother passed away. We've been through a lot since then to say the least. My sister Vicky still isn't a Christian but that doesn't mean I'll ever stop praying for her.

Interestingly this year, Vicky was excited about giving me a birthday gift. She's never been excited about giving me a birthday gift. She was convinced that I would be blown away but I wasn't sold. I mean, I already have everything a man could ever want (except a mansion, new car with GPS, an iphone, court side Lakers' season tickets, a six figure job, a dog that attacks on command, a wife who doesn't want kids, and cable TV). So when I went over to her place and unwrapped the gift, I noticed they were shoes (shoes that were way too big) and then I noticed that there was someone's signature on the shoes. It turns out to be Kobe's signature. Not only was it Kobe's signature but it was one of Kobe's game wore shoes from the 2008-2009 season (a championship season). I was floored. I didn't know what to say but my sister later put this on my facebook page:

I'm glad u love them (Kobe's game shoes)!!! This wasn't just for ur bday, it was also for being a great big bro thru the last 2 1/2 years since moms been gone. Thanks for all of ur support, words of encouragement and love. In addition, it is also to reward u for being an amazing husband to Katie and making her happy! Mom would be soooo proud, I know I am. The three of us love u!!! Enjoy!!! XOXO


I've been telling my co-workers, friends, guys at the gym, and even random people I don't even know off the street. I would be yelling from my car, "Hey yo, you know what my sis got ME?! That's right!!! Kobe's shoes!!!! KO-BE, KO-BE, KO-BE, KO-BE!!!" Our relationship has come a long way, indeed.



I think mom would be happy to know that we've grown much closer since her going home to be with the Lord. I also know that she would be happy knowing that Kobe won his fifth title and will be going for ring #6 next year. More importantly, I know my relationship with my sister wouldn't have been possible without the work of God in my life. I pray that she'll realize that more than anything else.


Go Lakers!!!

3 comments:

  1. Nice post, Jr. (aside from the part about the Lakers). Love the story about your sister crashing your car - although I'm sure if I'd been in the same situation I would have been ready to send her off to Timbuk2 after that. Oh, and the iPhone is s-w-e-e-t, just so you understand what you're missing. I hear you got a house! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Uncle John,

    You've been quiet on cyber-space of late. It's good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dumped FB because they are purposefully lousy at privacy. They can earn a buck off someone else's info!

    ReplyDelete