Monday, June 8, 2009

The Story - Part 1 The Fellowship that Wasn't

Original Post: June 3, 2008 

Well folks, here it is “The Story” - Part 1 (The Fellowship that Wasn't) of how I got the best girlfriend in the world. I’ve decided to make it a two-part blog because it’s going to be a long story. I don’t like reading long blogs, so I won’t write long blogs. Who knows, maybe I’ll make three parts for kicks. Anyway, we’ll see what happens. Lets go ahead and start (comments in brackets are from my girl. I only allowed this because I didn’t want to come off as a jerk bashing his girlfriend. So clearly, I’m a nice guy bashing his girlfriend – at least in part 1). 

It was a nice, sunny day about 3 years ago at Biola University, a place where gorgeous blonds are never in short supply. One day, a friend introduce me to the most beautiful of them all, Katie Davis. I said to myself, “Holy Crap she’s gorgeous!” when we first met. Sadly, she had a boyfriend at the time, so it was just a distant dream to be with someone that beautiful. 

However, her relationship ended a couple of months later (she was really hurt – more on this later)- [what exactly will the “more on this” say?] I didn’t really think of it as an opportunity until we worked a shift together at the Biola Fitness Center. [Katie: Note to all Biola males- the women sitting at the counter for this job are like sitting ducks for conversation. If you catch them at the right time in their shifts, they have no where else to go. Great opportunity for scoping out potential coffee dates.] It was about 4 hours long, but it felt like 4 minutes. We talked about everything from what God was doing in our lives since we’d been at Biola to what kind of movies we liked. I left thinking, “Wow, I could really talk to this person.” 

So it began. I started thinking about asking her out and wondering if it was a good idea since she was a white girl at Biola and they typically don’t date Asians (refer to10 Reasons Why I Can't Get A Date). One day, I was walking by the Fitness Center and there she was working and looking pretty. It took me about 5 minutes to muster up the courage to go inside and ask her out. I didn’t have a reason to be in there so I just went to the staff file cabinet pretending to look for something. While I was doing that I was making small talk with her, and once I made it look like I found what I was looking for, I asked her to coffee. She said, “Sure sounds like fun.” Wow- that was just way too easy. I usually get the busy-card or a down right “Eff you.” 

The progression is as follows: (1) coffee – it went well (2) lunch – that went well (3) dinner, the real date – and you guessed it, that went well too. You could see where this was going, so you thought. 

Round 1 – Narnia Night: 

It was opening night for The Chronicles of Narnia – The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Some girls say that they want to hang out in groups first because that makes them feel “safe.” I guess every guy out there could be a potential ax murderer.[Katie: In the women’s defense, all it takes is one! ☺] I thought going to Narnia night with a group of friends would be a blast since it was going to be our first group date. 

Well, the night started pretty awkward. When I went to go pick her up she already looked uncomfortable. When we met up with the rest of the gang she immediately ran to the girls as though she was relieved that she didn’t have to talk to me. I was thinking, “What in the world did I do?”

It turns out that she felt uncomfortable because other people were asking what was going on between us. I just told those people that we were getting to know each other. Apparently, a community of young Christians going to the same Christian college asking a guy and a girl that have been spending a lot of time together “what is going on between you two?” was strange to her. I thought she might have been home-schooled but she wasn’t. The pressure simply got to her. I haven’t seen this kind of mental weakness since Kwame Brown. Basically, if she were at the free-throw line she would have air-balled. [Katie: I prefer to see myself as a Lamar Odom- someone who blossoms and becomes a key player on a winning team once outside of the spotlight.] 

The entire night was awful and awkward. She had stonewalls around her that rivaled Berlin. [Katie: Just remember, the Berlin Wall did eventually come crashing down ☺] I didn’t even enjoy the movie because I was wondering what was wrong with this chick the whole night and if I did something to upset her. [Katie: Of course the real reason could have been because we were sitting about four rows back from the screen making it difficult to see anything but one of Aslan’s eyes at a time] Anyways, you could guess that our “getting-to-know-each-other” time was over shortly after. No hard feelings, yet. 

Round 2 – The Return From Israel

I took a trip to Israel for about a month through my graduate school. When I got back I sent out an email letting everyone know that I was home safe and sound. Katie was on that email list and replied with some small talk. She wanted to see my pictures from Israel. I guess as two grown-ups we could act like adults, and I could be fine with getting kicked to the curb. 

We meet at school, and I shared what I learned from the trip and showed my pictures. I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to ask her out again because she looked so hot. She kindly accepted. After several fun-filled dates she invited me to have dinner with the family and help me with my resume. As a joke, I put her name under “personal interests” she laughed and called me a “dork” then ignored me the rest of the night in favor of playing with her dog Murphy. [KD: In my defense, Murphy is one fantastically cute dog that can rival any date early on.] I received an email the next day telling me that “now I know you are interested in me, I’m not comfortable with that.” Oh! You mean that asking you out over and over again and spending all that money on you didn’t tip you off? Of course, it ended – again! [Katie: Leave it to the Biola men- they insist that we women read too much into the coffee and dinner dates- i.e. “ring by spring”- but then if we are hesitant when they finally admit interest, they blame us for not having “realized it” 3 dates ago. Figure that one out, ladies!] 

Round 3 – Golden Spoon (a month later) 

One night, my roommates and I decided to make a Golden Spoon run and just hang out. Interestingly, we ran into Katie and her family there. I decided to take the high road and say hello to the family because, well . . . I’m just a nice guy like that. [KD: As if I was planning on ignoring you! ☺ ] As I was talking to Katie I realized it was nice to small talk and wasn’t awkward at all. It was actually pleasant to see each other. 

We started emailing each other afterwards because it was such a pleasant conversation we had. I thought it wise to take it slow and just email for a while to get a feel with where she was at before I decided to descend into the realm of “dumbassness” and ask her out again. 

Sure enough I descended quickly and asked her out again. To make a long story short she eventually rejected me again. I’m guessing that you’re starting to get the point. She clearly had issues to work out, and I was taking the brunt of it. [Katie: It only helped you in the end. I had to make sure I got a man with the mental fortitude to withstand the inevitable hazing that comes from a protective dad and four brothers.] I decided to take a long hiatus from all women. This whole experience, up to this point, put me off of women for two whole days. 

As you should know by now that the story does not end on this sad note. To finish the story, you’ll just have to click The Story Part 2 to continue. Again, I don’t like reading long blogs, so it’s only fair for me not to write long blogs- which may be too late. 

No comments:

Post a Comment