Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Journey to Jared’s



Last month was my 4th year wedding anniversary. Where does the time go? This blog is for those of you wondering what I got my wife for a gift and some advice for young husbands. As usual, I waited until the last minute to actually start thinking about what I should get my wife. This process always stresses me out. Maybe that’s why I tend to procrastinate and hope something just comes to mind, even though I know that doesn’t work.

It’s difficult having your anniversary in January because it’s between Christmas AND Valentine’s Day. So I have to think about gifts for my wife for three straight months. It’s triple the stress. This year I decided to listen to the TV and go to Jared’s. Yes, “He went to Jared’s.” I’m told that’s where husbands go when they really love their wives. Also, I figured if I dropped a nice chunk of coinage for our anniversary then I could get away with the half-@$$ flowers and chocolate for Valentine’s Day that everyone else does.

When I arrived at Jared’s, I was already thinking, “I’m getting her a bracelet. Don’t let them talk you into anything else!” I also had a dollar range in my mind and I was determined not to deviate from it. Once I walked into the store, I immediately felt out of place. I know nothing about jewelry, and I was too lazy to do any research. There was a young lady who greeted me at the door. She said, “Hello, welcome to Jared’s. Is this your first time here?” I felt that was a rhetorical question but I answered anyway. “Yes. It’s my first time here.” Translation: I have no idea what I’m doing. She replied, “Would you like a tour?” I calmly looked around the store and thought to myself, “I can see the entire store from where I’m standing.” But simply replied, “No thanks. I just need to know where your bracelets are.” Translation: Don’t try and sell me something I don’t want. She asked, “Would you like some coffee or a cappuccino?” “Cappuccino?” I replied. “Yes, we have French Vanilla.” She answered. I politely accepted. Translation: That’s my favorite! This place rocks!

As she went to go get my free French Vanilla cappuccino that really isn’t free, she directed me towards both the bracelets and a salesman. He took over with a cool, “Hello. Is this your first time to Jared’s?” I thought to myself, “Does it look that obvious?” Somehow I just know I’m going to get taken, like Liam Neeson’s daughter.

Once my free French Vanilla cappuccino that really isn’t free arrived I was put at least a little bit at ease. The drink was amazing. Jared’s should open up a coffee shop- it was that good. Anyway, I just pointed to a bracelet I liked and asked, “How much is that one?” He kindly replied, “That’s $2400.” I nearly vomited. That would’ve have been some major deviation from the plan of sticking to a certain dollar range. Not to mention, if I had that kind of cash lying around, I would be upgrading my Laker season tickets “for the family.”

Naturally I asked, “Do you have something else?” Translation: I don’t have that kind of money. He picked a couple bracelets out that were more in my price range and I took pictures of them and sent them to my sister and mother-in-law in order for them to help me pick one out. I was hoping they would pick the cheaper one and they did. Nice! On my way home I called my sister and she asked, “How many carats is it?” I asked, “What the h*** are carats?” “So you don’t know if you just got ripped off?” my sister asked. “I guess not.” I replied. But what I do know is I have a gift for my wife regardless and that’s what is important.

2 comments:

  1. Junior,

    Your blog was simply hilarious. Your writing made me feel like I was there, at Jared's with you! I laughed out loud a few times, especially the whole "Jared's should see coffee" scene. Great writing! Keep it up. Your old friend from high school.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging words, support and taking the time to read it.

      Delete