Tuesday, November 9, 2010

November Rain




Is it November already? Is it early or something? In any case, this November seems a little different than other Novembers in the past. Don’t get me wrong; I’m still excited about the annual release of McDonald’s McRib(s). I’m also excited about the beginning of a new basketball season (4th season as a season ticket holder).

But what makes this November seem a little different to me is a story I shared with a friend from my Grace Group (small home bible study). First let me give some background. I grew up in a broken home without any real assembles of family tradition. The holidays were always miserable to me because it felt like a time when my family were forced to be together when we didn’t really want to be. As I got older the holidays got worst and more depressing.

When I started attending Biola University, it signaled a new season of my life. I had met friends who are closer to me than brothers. My buddy Aaron Brown invited me to the Christmas tree lighting event that Biola holds every year on campus. He was always trying to talk me out of having such a negative attitude towards the holidays. Since I didn't have anything else better to do I decided to go. So there I was with my friends all bundled up, each having their own cup of warm apple cider waiting with child-like anticipation for the lighting of the Christmas tree. Once the tree was lit, I remember having a “There is something right about this” moment and realized that this is what the holidays was suppose to be about. I never shared that story until a couple nights ago. And only now do I realize the significance of it.

It feels great that I could reflect on the painful past and see that God does indeed “turn ashes into beauty.”

Now that I married into an All-American family, I feel ready for make the most out of the holiday season. The wife already said that she wants a “real” Christmas tree this year but that sounds like a lot of work. Not to mention that a fake tree is cheaper, last longer, and is a lot less messy. On the other hand, maybe starting a new era that deeply appreciates the holiday season with a “real” tree would be a good symbol (Of course I say that now but once I’m dragging one into the house I’ll be regretting it).

PS - Thanks Aaron for inviting me that night. Good times.

5 comments:

  1. True, enough (about dragging the tree into the house), but it will make for a great memory. The first year we moved to Michigan, Cherie said, "we need a real tree!" I'm like: "Yeah, they are a mess." She won. We even cut down our own tree! Dragged it home where it proceeded to drop endless pine needles for the next month and in the process ruin Cherie's vacuum cleaner. Hahahahaha....we bought a fake tree the next year and have been using it ever since. It's actually a really cool fiber optic tree that they make nothing like anymore so I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey bro, thanks for sharing the story. I remember that night but I never knew it made such an imprint on you. definitely makes me nostalgic for those biola days... on the real vs. fake tree front, I've always grown up with the fake tree, megan always had the real tree. so needless to say we have real trees now. but a happy wife makes for happy holidays, even if I'm wasting $40 every year to kill a tree and cover my living room floor in pine needles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys crack me up. I have those same feelings about getting a "real tree." And of course, I'm going to lose out to the wife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i read junior's blog too aaron...heh. :) well, you'll be happy to realize we don't have to romp around the christmas tree farms to find the perfect one...or load it into our car...or spend $40 on one! but realize, you spent a just few grand on a Christmas tree this year! :) (for some context: we're cutting down a pine tree from our back yard we want to get rid of). enjoy this year b/c next year it'll be back to the 40 buck ones!

    ps---REAL christmas trees are the best. just keep them watered and the needles won't be too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the tip Megz, lots of water - got it. Anything for less messy.

    ReplyDelete